Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Webcomics

I like comics. In print, an occasional graphic novel will suffice. If I like the series, I'll pick up the continuations. I grew up in the boom of the internet, so it is natural that I also like webcomics. Except...

I'm getting really sick and tired of reading a good webcomic just to have the political mores of the artist/author shoved down my throat. Ok, yeah, I get it. All conservatives are bad, evil people. Liberals are wonderful, sweet adorable creatures. Talk about projection.

Here's a suggestion: get over yourself and tell the story without stomping all over part of your audience. Conservatives read comics too. They aren't horrible puppy-killers like you seem to think. Wow, maybe they're even regular people who believe differently than you do. How shocking! We're not the jackbooted thugs.

I really don't like being attacked every single time I read certain comics (like a certain new one about a devil child who's adorable). I say, "yeah, ok, maybe it'll get better." But it doesn't. I might hang on because the art is good and the story's interesting, but after a while, I'm going to give up. And that's sad. I really want to continue reading these stories, but my choices are being severely limited. It's just like TV all over again. Oh joy. It would be nice to post my opinion to the comic and show that more than one person has the balls to point this out, but of course they want my email address. I really don't want to create that kind of opening. So I'll get this off my chest here.

I'm having this same problem with artists as well. Makes me never want to post a piece of art again. Never try to make a piece of art again. Why bother? Art is for liberals, right? Maybe comics are too.

I'm not saying that I want to read conservative comics only. In fact, what I'm saying is that I want to read comics that don't bring politics into play. Subtly, fine. Shoving your viewpoints down my throat?

Hell, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment