Monday, February 21, 2005

On The meaning of angst... and Movie Reviews

I don't understand how I'm supposed to survive a whole week without my Joe Ohio!
Oh, the cruel fate wrought upon the faithful readers... woe, woe is me!

Ahem. Ok, I'm done.
----------------------------------
Last night I went to the theater to see Hitch. It took great effort to find something worth seeing and luckily Hitch ended up the final choice.
In this day and age of Hollywood, it is very difficult to find a good comedy that is not geared towards the children, or... made by Pixar. The last comedy that I saw in the theater was Meet the Fockers, a piece of incompetant drivel if I ever saw one (can you tell I was dissapointed?). That movie was so crude I spent most of my time laughing in embarrassment, for myself (for going to see the film) and for the actors in the film (do they really enjoy this work?). It seems to me that most modern day (adult) comedies (and/or movies in general) are all about one thing. Say it with me now, "sex." When was the last time you saw a movie (specifically about dating) that didn't have a sex scene? Along the same line, when was the last time you saw a comedy that wasn't overflowing with crude jokes about sex and bodily functions?
Well, Hitch was just what the doctor prescribed. Hold on. Let me think... Nope. I don't recall a single sex scene in the entire movie. Oh, rejoice, for I actually enjoyed a comedy in the year 2005! Not once did I feel embarrassed or uncomfortable. Not once did I wish I could leave the theater and wash my eyes with lye. Here, we have a slightly complicated story about a man who helps other men with wooing the women of their dreams. The purpose is not to deceive but to be true to yourself. Hitchens, the "date doctor," does not provide his services to men whose only purpose is to sleep with a woman. He must see that love exists, only then will he help his clients catch the notice of their loved ones. What a refreshing thought. Here is a man who only providees his clients with a boosted morale and an opportunity.
Naturally, I have some strong opinons on how the film worked out in the end. (Oh, hollywood, if only you would hire me to proofread and edit your films!) Number 1: The emphasis was not strong enough on the message - Hitch only provided his clients with the tools they needed. He never once helped his clients in deceiving their loved ones. When it came down to it, the film stopped short of really supporting its moral message. If you weren't too dense, you'd get that the movie was about Love, not sex (as is more common nowadays). At the mention of being used to get a girl into a man's bed, Hitch balks, showing his disgust at the thought of such a morally deprived purpose. Still, when the explanations come at the end, there lacks an emphasis on this concept of "being who you are." Sure, it works out and is even emphasized for one of the clients, but... there are loose ends.
Overall, I was very satisfied with the movie. I just can't help but feel like it was held back in some way. It would be that much greater, if only I could figure out what it was missing. Maybe it was the suprise that Hitch gets when he learns that his method actually works... wait... what?
Now, I am confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment