The Schiavo case is coming to a point now and thus is sparking much more attention from the media. Personally, I have been following this story for about five years now. It seems to me that the people who wish to help the husband legally commit murder are missing the whole point. From what I have gathered, there is a preponderance of evidence that suggests at the very least, a need for the case to reviewed by a different judge (how about one who is not so greatly slanted towards the will of the husband?). This, in my mind, is not about religion, and should not be about political beliefs. However, it seems that the media and Democrats are pushing the issue into a political divide.
So here's my thought: If they want to divide the country, they couldn't pick a better issue to show their beliefs. Since no one seems to take notice of the children murdered by these people (yes, I said "murdered" - don't get me started on abortion. I'm all for choice - let the children choose their own fates.), I thought that maybe, just maybe, they would take notice of a grown woman's plight. However, these people instead unveil their true purpose: murder. There is no sanctity (oh, no! A religious term!) of life for these people. Ever since I heard of this case I have wanted to write a living will. My parents visited a lawyer the other day and discussed living wills - the lawyer basically told my mother that she would feel nothing if they removed the feeding tube. What would he know? It seems like he was just spouting the nonsense that the media is feeding the general population.
From personal experience, I know what it's like to starve and go without fluids for several days (most I could stand was three days surviving on just a little bread and sips of water). It is not pleasant and I cannot imagine anyone going through that for two weeks. Sure, you might slip into a coma eventually, after your body has suffered through more pain than it can bear. The again, don't just believe me. There's a woman who managed to live through the horrifying experience of having her feeding tube removed. This woman was in a worse state than Schiavo, dependent on a ventilator, not just the feeding tube. (http://www.worldmagblog.com/blog/archives/013318.html)
One thing that I find so hard to believe is the common statement that she (Schiavo) must be suffering in her current state, so it would be a mercy to kill her. What a callous statement. Does that mean that all who suffer should be killed? Apparently so. Look at the parents who use pre-birth screening tests to determine if a child will be born with defects. If a child has defects, some potentially life-threatening, these parents, usually on advice of their physician, will strike first, killing without giving the child a chance to survive.
I find it hard to reconcile my own thoughts with those who would support the legalization of murder.
Here's a good site (liberals, no less..):
http://liberalsforterri.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment