It is the eve of a critical event in my young life. Tomorrow night marks the last class I will have to attend at the state university before receiving a bachelor's degree. At this stage in life, I do not know what is next. This is the time when most graduating students go out into the world to pursue the perfect job. What do you do when you cannot figure out what you want to do?
I envy my classmates for knowing where they want to go. They are pursuing careers by putting effort into going out and interviewing for jobs at companies where they want to work. For the past two years, I have not been able to find something to catch my interest, even though I have been searching for answers. I feel like I have lost something important: my identity. Who am I? I think I wanted to be something, but now I seem to want only to sleep. There is something lurking beneath the surface, something that I have been unable to find.
For this reason, I feel like my four years at the university have been a waste. The only thing that I learned from the academic community is that I don't belong. I suppose you could sum up my experience as learning this: Free thought cannot exisit in an environment that strives to constrict the mind (the environment being the education system). Somewhere within this culture, I have lost my self and I am trying to recover the important parts. This is my log.
No comments:
Post a Comment